Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Call to Commitment

Like so many of you, my life is filled with lots of "stuff". Not that all of this "stuff" is bad, it is just that my lack of time management skills and my tendancies to get overwhelmed with life cause me to succumb to the chaos. Lately, my days have not been spent living, but merely surviving. Today it was made clear to me that God is not going to just use his magic wand of wonderfulness to touch my life and fix all that is wrong with it. He is fully capable of that, but what benefit would that be to me? He wants me to learn to fully rely on Him and to trust His voice and His plan.
The problem is that I have felt so far away from Him lately, and don't trust my ability to hear his voice. One glaringly obvious thing that has been lacking in my life is the time I spend in prayer and reading my Bible. Over the years, I have had a daily time with God, but that has not been the norm for quite some time. Feeling dry and weak, I need His refreshing and His strentgh to sustain me. And, as my Pastor said today, "Only God's Word will change you life". Wow! I sure am ready for that.
I have been given a call, which I extend to all who will accept it, to commit to a daily time with God in prayer and in His Word. All I am suggesting is that you spend a few minutes each day reading the scripture verses I post and that you be excited for all that God is going to speak to you. It is not a major time commitment and you are encouraged to read more on your own if you so desire. I just want this to be a stepping stone for everyone who has not been able to consistently spend time daily reading their Bibles. We are on this adventure together and you all will keep me accountable! I look forward to joining you each day as we share what God is speaking to us.

6 comments:

  1. Jessica-
    What a good idea. Your blog looks very nice. A good inspiration. I think fondly of you and the boys (and Bella too) and hope that you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just what I was thinking after service yesterday. I definitely need to make more of an effort in spending time with God. I guess I have a little fear of pressing in... not sure why??.... but I know that God is calling me to a greater place in my spiritual walk and I need to press in. I'll be making a greater effort in my time with God and I think it is great that you are starting this blog.... I'll be following it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea, Jessica! I quoted you and linked to you on my blog yesterday. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. =D .... the problem with starting a blog is that darn accountability thing .... how's it goin <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAY Jessica very excited!! GODS word is POWER and STRENGTH we can all use more of His strength and power in our lives THANK YOU for challenging us to a daily commitment that is greatly needed during our (my) busy lives.

    ReplyDelete